Sunday, January 10, 2010

Magic Blondies

The first recipe that I attempted from Martha Stewart's Cookies was the Magic Blondies recipe from page 180. I am not going in any particular order in the cookbook; I chose this recipe because I was looking for something that contained coconut to use up the large amount of shredded coconut that I found in our pantry (no idea why we have THREE bags of shredded coconut in there anyway).

The recipe chapters in this book are divided by texture. This recipe was deservedly located within the "chunky and nutty" section of the book, as they call for chocolate chips, coconut, walnuts and dried cranberries (or cherries). Because my husband has an almost pathological aversion to dried fruit, I omitted the cranberries/cherries.


The cookie batter itself is fairly basic - flour, baking powder, salt, brown sugar (no white sugar), butter, eggs and vanilla. No special techniques or tools are needed.

You add the coconut/nut/chocolate chip mixture to the top of each cookie. These are meant to be baked in muffin tins, I like a mini portion better, so I used my mini muffin pan with excellent results (same baking time).


They were absolutely delicious! The consistency is somewhere between a cookie and a brownie, with a nice crunch from the coconut and nuts and a little gooey-ness from the chocolate chips. The mini portion is perfect for a two-bite snack. The topping is a little crumbly and probably would not withstand a lot of jostling if you wanted to take them somewhere else, but I was able to pack away a few for my mom without any major damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment