Friday, June 4, 2010

Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies



Nothing is on the DVR, so that means it's time to make cookies. Tonight I picked out Peanut Butter Whoopie Pies (page 207), just because the name makes me giggle.

This is a HUGE recipe ... the yield says 3 dozen, and it makes at least that. Since they are sandwich cookies, that means 6 dozen cookies - wow. The recipe calls for buttermilk, which I don't keep in the house. A while ago, I picked up Saco Cultured Buttermilk Blend, for recipes just like this one. It's a shelf stable powder that you mix with water to substitute for buttermilk. You add the water with the wet ingredients and the powder with the dry. When the water is added to the wet ingredients, the batter becomes somewhat sloshy and it does not incorporate the same way buttermilk would; however, once you add the dry ingredients, the batter mixes together just fine. The taste was unaffected by using a buttermilk substitute.

I did use natural peanut butter, as called for in the filling recipe. I despise natural peanut butter because I think it's totally gross and don't usually keep it in the house - and I certainly never eat it. We did have a jar of it, though, from our weekly farmer's market bag, so even though it was crunchy, I used it for the filling. What could possibly be gross when it's mixed with powdered sugar and butter?

The cookies were cakey and light and not too sweet, perfect when paired with the creamy, sweet peanut butter filling. These cookies would be great for a child's birthday party.

No comments:

Post a Comment