Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Cigarettes Russes

I decided to get a little fancy in my cookie-making today. I tried out Martha's recipe for Cigarettes Russes (page 30). These are the wafer-like tube-shaped cookies that are often paired with ice cream and either filled with or dipped in chocolate.

The batter was fairly easy to make. It called for powdered sugar, flour and salt to be sifted together. Then, in a well in the center (pictured), combine melted butter, egg whites, cream and vanilla. Although the recipe didn't mention an electric mixer, I used the whisk attachment on my KitchenAid and it was a fairly painless process. The batter was pretty runny, but in accordance with the directions, it was refrigerated for several hours (in this case, it was in the fridge for about 8 hours).

I almost forgot about the cookies though, until my husband saw the dough in the downstairs refrigerator and reminded me. The most labor-intensive process is baking and forming the cookies, but it wasn't difficult and I found it fun. You have to spread the batter onto the cookie sheets VERY THINLY (I don't think I ever got it thin enough). In fact, I think the batter should almost be translucent when you have spread it out. My cookies were more like cigars rather than cigarettes because the batter wasn't spread thin enough.

I only fit about 3 cookies on each cookie sheet because of how large the cookies get when you spread out the batter. They cook for a very short period of time - 6 minutes.

As soon as the cookies are removed from the oven, you quickly remove them with your handy offset spatula and wrap them around a dowel (or in my case, a chopstick). I realized by the end of this process, however, that I could have just rolled them up. After you let them cook, dip them in melted chocolate and/or nuts. This recipe calls for bittersweet chocolate; I thought that would be too harsh, so I used half bittersweet and half semi-sweet, but my husband and I both thought it was still quite bitter.

The cookies are "light and delicious" - as per the section of the cookbook into which they fall. They are a little spongy, quite sweet, and crunchy on the edges. Delightful!


No comments:

Post a Comment